Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 5, 2011 - I lost my Mom...


Sylvia M. Parsons

Sylvia Maxine Parsons, 74, of Luray, died on Saturday, March 5, 2011, at Winchester Medical Center.

She was born on April 14, 1936, in Stanley and was a daughter of the late Fred Lee and Lonnie Irene Taylor Seal.

Mrs. Parsons was a member of the Luray Christian Church, Disciples of Christ. She worked in the housekeeping department for Page Memorial Hospital for 10 years.

She is survived by a daughter, Elizabeth Irene Parsons of Winchester; and three grandchildren. She was preceded in death by two sisters, Gladys Seal and Thelma Seal; three brothers, Robert, Virgil and Orley Seal; and one great-grandchild.

A funeral service will be conducted at 2 p.m. on Thursday, March 10, at the Bradley Funeral Home by the Rev. Stan Peerless. Burial will be in Evergreen Memorial Gardens in Luray.

The family was to receive friends from 7-8 p.m. on Wednesday, March 9, at the funeral home.


~My Mom had diverticulitis with a perforated bowel. She had surgery December 3, 2010. A week later she started having chest pains and was taken to the ICU. 36 hours later, she had a heart attack and coded. They got her back. She was a patient of the Cardiac ICU for a couple weeks and then onto the surgical floor. She was in the hospital for 6 weeks. She then went to rehab at Rose Hill in Berryville, VA. She had an infection was as being treated for it the entire time from her discharge from the unit to the very end. From there, was a roller coaster ride for my Mom. She was at rehab for about a week and went back to the hospital for GI bleeding. Stayed for awhile and went back to rehab. Stayed there for about another week and went back to the hospital with double pneumonia. Got her fixed up again and went back to rehab. Was there for about another week and then went back to the hospital for GI bleeding, this time was worse. Got her straightened out and went back to rehab. When she returned, she still wasn't feeling that well. Her stomach was bothering her and she she didn't want to eat. She then started vomiting and her blood pressure was really low. On Friday, March 4th, I received a call that they were sending her back to the hospital. She was taken back to the ICU. They put in a central line because she was so dehydrated. Middle of the night, they did a femoral line to monitor her blood pressure. I received a call at 7am from her Dr saying they were going to intubate her and take her to emergency surgery. The bowel was infected and they needed to take it out. The last thing Mom said to me in the ER was "I love you too". I was told she would not make it thru the surgery because of the infections she had. But she did. She was with us a couple hours and then the Pastor came to me and told me there was alot of activity in her room, they are doing CPR. They got her back again, but having a time with her BP. She was hemorrhaging and they were putting blood in as fast as they could give it. They said they could take her back to surgery, but she would die on the table. It was that bad...I told them to stop. I told them to stop....At 4:13pm Saturday March 5th, she passed away while I was holding her hand. I hate being a nurse in times like this - you know too much. And I know my Mom did NOT want to be like this. God love her, she told me to rip up the DNR in the ER Friday night.

She had went thru hell all because a Doctor would not order a simple test - a colonoscopy. She paid a very high price of pain and suffering in result of this. Yes, she had other health issues, but did not have to go thru all of this.

As for me, I would not have changed a thing taking care of my Mom. She has been with me for 6-7 years. She was my Mom. And she would have done the same for me. Because we loved each other. She was my Mom. But I wish I could have done more for her. She was my best friend and the Best Mom ever. I am so proud and honored to have her as my Mom. And I miss her so much.

At the funeral, I got to sing "Amazing Grace" to her before they closed the casket. It was shaky and thru alot of tears, but I did it. She loved listening to me play the piano, especially that song.

Thank you Mom, for being my best friend, my shoulder to cry on, the best Grandmother to Chris, Steven and Matthew, and the best GG to Hayden. I know you two are having fun in Heaven together making up for lost time! But most of all - thank you Mom for being my Mom! We shared alot of laughs and tears, went thru alot of good times and bad, but we were always together. I learned alot from you. Thank you Mom! I love you and miss you so much. It's not home here without you. And I sure am lonely without you. But I'll be ok, I hope! I love you, Mom, forever and always! 318

4 comments:

Therese said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost you mom. Hang in there. I lost my dad in 1984 and my mom in 1988. It is so very hard to lose people we love. May god be with you to keep you strong and help you heal.
Take care
Therese

Karen said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear mother. My heart and prayers goes out to you and your family.

Hugs,
Karen

Chain Stitch Crochet said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad back in August and am still trying to deal with his loss. It's so hard losing those we love. Huge hugs. xoxo

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your mother. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy