Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Special Poem

This poem was given to me by a friend.

I'll lend you for a little while
A child of Mine, He said.
For you to love him while he lives
And mourn for when he's gone.
It may be 2 or 3 years, or it may be
Twenty-two or three.
But will you, till I call him back
Take care of him for Me?
He'll bring his wit to gladden you,
And should his stay be brief,
You'll have his memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay,
Since all from earth return
But there are lessons taught down there
I want this child to learn.
I've looked the wide world over,
In search of teachers true
And from the crowds that throng life's way
I have selected you.
Now will you give him all your love,
And think it not in vain,
Nor hate Me when I come to call
And take him back again?
I fancied that I heard them say,
Dear Lord, Thy will be done
For all the joy Thy Child shall bring
The risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter him with tenderness,
We'll love him while we may
And for the happiness we've known
Forever grateful stay...
But should the angels call him back
Much sooner than we've planned
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to UNDERSTAND.

Torrance Harvey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth, What a beautiful poem. Here is a big hug for you. We are all here for you. Love, Alma